At Microsoft, the tools for my daily work included things like C++, PowerShell, and Visual Studio. I also used many internal tools with names like Source Depot and Razzle. And naturally I used the Windows platform.
It’s both a pleasure and challenge to be working with a completely new set of tools as a developer at HBO. Just in the past week alone, I’ve:
- Programmed in Objective-C
- Used the Xcode development environment
- Written bash scripts
- Managed content with git
- Issued pull requests on GitHub
- Configured builds on Jenkins
- Debugged ARM code on iPad
- Browsed with Safari and Chrome
About the only tool that is consistent between my current and previous jobs is Outlook.
It’s strange to be a novice at so many things. It’s like going back to school. My productivity is low (though growing), but my satisfaction at learning new things is immense.
There’s a lesson to be learned here.